Some people are hardcore food tourists. Everywhere they go, they will do a food tour to get to know a new city. And, there are some people who don’t even know about food tours yet, although they would probably enjoy doing one. Come on our food tours in Berlin and we’ll make you a fan, we promise.
Maybe you can ask yourself: What was your first touchpoint with a foreign cuisine or culture in your life? A lot of times, it probably was the Italian or Greek restaurant in the neighborhood or the Chinese, Japanese or Vietnamese eatery around the corner. Or in Berlin, maybe it was the döner kebab shop that is always just a few minutes away from home.
The following blog article is for those who might still be on the fence about food tours. So why not start the new year with a plea for culinary tours/experiences?
Why We Do What We Do? And Why Should Everyone Go on a Food And/or Craft Beer Experience With Us in Berlin?
First and foremost, we do what we do because we truly love it and are passionate about the food and craft beer scene in Berlin, Berlin’s dense and tumultuous history, as well as its unique (sub-)cultural landscape. Also, it is a lot of fun and very entertaining!
The brand Walk With Us Tours is us, Margot and Alex. It represents our subjective perspectives on the city we love the most and its unique food culture. It embodies our personal story as a married couple. We love to share that passion and love with you because sharing is caring.
Our main goal as tour operators is to craft a tour experience that stays in the minds of our guests. By that, I mean to give them a unique experience that they will never forget. If we can achieve that (of course, as a positive memory), we have done our job, and our day is complete.
10 Reasons To Do A Food Tour in Berlin
Let’s talk about the magic, the fun, and the value of doing a culinary tour in Berlin: The most authentic places in a new city are where locals go and eat. You can get the most authentic access to a different culture through their respective food and beverages. It is called cultural immersion. Try it out!
In the following, we from Walk With Us Tours, have listed 10 good reasons to do a food and/or beer tour with us in Berlin (and of course, anywhere else in the world with other food tour operators):
1. Food tours are multisensory experiences that involve all the senses and thus create long-lasting memories. Just think about the taste and smell of your favorite dish that your mother, father, or grandma used to cook for you. It is impressive how the mere smell of something can trigger memories and emotions so powerful that they can transport you back to a specific time in your life.
2. Food carries a cultural, historical, and social value; not just a nutritional one. The food culture can say a lot about a particular place — it reflects the social and cultural fabric, geography, and even geology. Every dish has its own history, which is always embedded in the broader historical context.
3. You will meet like-minded people, make genuine human connections, and share a love for good food with each other. Remember: Sharing is caring.
4. IT IS A LOT OF FUN! I MEAN A HELL OF A LOT.
5. You spare the guesswork about the best places to eat in a new city/place. Just leave it to the homies. The sheer amount of gastronomies in a city like Berlin is simply overwhelming. We scoured the city high and low to give you the most authentic foodie experiences in Berlin, and have selected the best places to eat and visit. In this way, you will be sure to avoid tourist traps!
6. You can meet true locals who share their personal perspectives about the city with you. You get to know their individual connections to the city and their unique stories. In addition, you will meet the people behind the dishes and eateries: The vendors, chefs, and restaurateurs.
7. You can explore hidden gems and parts of a city that traditional city guides might overlook or that only locals will know about. As a result, you get out of the comfort zone of your hotel area and off the beaten path.
8. IT REALLY IS SO MUCH FUN! BELIEVE ME!
9. Before/during/after the food tour, you can get reliable local tips and recommendations on what to do and not do in the city. This helps you plan your trip better and to use your time more wisely since many travelers (unfortunately) will have a limited stay.
10. After being cooped up for much of the pandemic, it is time to get out and explore again! Since our tours are walking food tours, you get a lot of fresh air. Besides eating and drinking many delicious things, we always have a lot of what I call “digestive walking” in-between the stops. Exploring a new place on foot is the best way to get a feeling for it and see things that usually would not have been revealed to you by car or public transport.
We hope we have given you some inspiration and convincing reasons to join one of our exceptional foodie and craft beer experiences in Berlin. We really would love to hear from you and show you around.
Food tours are immersive cultural experiences involving all the senses. As a matter of fact, doing food or beer tours ties together many things that are quintessential to the traveler’s experience. The important things here are always curiosity, an interest in the unknown, and a lot of fun. What better way than to actually taste the unknown?
A well-designed food tour can be cathartic and transformational through immersion. It can alter your perspective and/or outlook on certain aspects of life. It can inspire you and demonstrate alternative ways of preparing, producing or consuming food. Also, you can gain an in-depth understanding of another society and culture with all its particularities.
In this way, the food tour experience helps deconstruct existing cultural clichés and stereotypes. At least it should not reproduce them. Also, it should be inclusive and openly stand against any form of xenophobia, homophobia, transphobia, racism, and ableism. We think it is more important than ever to take a clear stance. Everyone only!
Don’t hesitate. Book one of our tours today, or join our Berlin Supper Club. Alternatively, let us craft an unforgettable, customized private tour just for you and your friends and/or family — you certainly will not regret it. If you have any questions about one of our tours, reach out to us. We look forward to meeting you!